Friday, March 17, 2006

The beast it cometh, cometh down....

I think if you really love music or going to shows or anything related you always end up getting asked, "If you could go back in time and see any band, which would it be?". My answer, without any bit of doubt or questioning, is the Birthday Party. Why?


(if it takes a while to load just wait, it's worth it I think)
That. Right there. I'm such a fucking sucker for the junkies.
The funny thing is...my love for the Birthday Party is completely separate from my Nick Cave obsession. Raeven once said she loves Tool because they completely speak to the agressive, masculine part of her. That's the Birthday Party for me. Nick Cave....whole other deal. My favourite song of his is "The Ship Song" for christ's sake...which is really just sappy pulp when looked at with any sort of objectivity.

So where did this all come from? I spent all morning watching the Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds "Videos" DVD and live Birthday Party videos on YouTube (well first I finished reading The Time Machine...details, details). I don't know if there's a better way to wake up, honestly. I also raided Project Gutenberg and a few other sites because having all of my books boxed up in the garage was making me sad. Now I have a nice little library on one of my laptops. It doesn't really compare to the whole sensory experience of reading an actual book, but at least it's something.

Today I'm feeling rather invisible. It's not altogether unpleasant.

2 comments:

garth2 said...

it's funny, i've never been a nick cave anything fan. i was thinking "art fag!", but i'm my own kind of artfag i guess. i spent the whole day downloading husker du and bob mould songs. and yaz and err...depeche mode. so i guess, technically, i can't say shit.

Marie said...

haha....yeah as incongruent as our musical tastes are, neither of us can deny the power of the art-faggotry....