Monday, April 30, 2007

Picture Post

Here's what I've got in the gallery today:

Pictures from the beach trip I wrote about the other day. I really like the way the dead pelican pictures came out. Apparently a lot of the coastal wildlife is dying right now due to an algae bloom.
From Beach

I went down to Pt. Loma yesterday for a BBQ with Garrett, Chad, and Cara at Garrett's friend Matt's house, who was totally cool. As we were sitting outside on his patio drinking beer and smoking and talking about parrots of all things, a giant flock of wild parrots flew in and landed in all the trees and power lines...they are some noisy beasts. The pictures didn't come out great because it was very overcast and I was zooming in at like 4x.


From Wild Parrots ...

Took this while we were out walking around on the mountain. No idea what kind of flower/succulent it is but it was really pretty and I like how the picture came out.




Inspired by this great picture I saw on Serious Eats I decided to make a Nicoise Salad this morning.



I left out the tuna, which I think is kind of the point of a Nicoise salad. Being all vegetarian most of the time and trying to eat as little fish as possible, however, it just ended up that way. So I threw some cucumber in there instead. For the beans I used some leftovers I had from making this (to which I added golden hominy) and the potato is a leftover from making these. I used very small russet potatoes when I made them. It was awesome and super filling and easy as hell to make though obviously the one I threw together would not appeal to the purists out there.

I also used a great deal of leftover white beans to make vegetarian refried beans this morning, though I haven't used them in anything yet, they turned out fucking tasty. I'm kind of bewildered how I've made it to almost 26 years having never made refried beans from scratch. The world is full of mysteries.

1 comment:

Ticktok said...

speaking of pelicans did you see this?

Pelican has a snack