Saturday, December 20, 2008

Solitary Man

Valerie put a post up about songs relating to seasons. Winter always makes me think of the album American III: Solitary Man by Johnny Cash, and in particular his cover of Solitary Man, which is fantastic. The song was actually stuck in my head all day yesterday for certain reasons, and with tomorrow being the Winter Solstice, I figured it was all nice and synchronous and all that shit.

The reasons it reminds me of winter aren't really interesting. I moved into a house in the middle of winter about 4 years ago, we didn't have cable or tv in our room, so I spent a lot of time listening to this album. I downloaded a couple of other covers of it as well, one by Chris Isaak, which is surprisingly fantastic, and one by H.I.M. which I find hilarious and at the same time appeals to my art fag emo-ness. I suggest you listen to them all.

Johnny Cash - Solitary Man
Chris Isaak - Solitary Man
H.I.M. - Solitary Man

I seriously could listen to this song all the time. Whoever sings it.
And that is the end of that. And thank the gods tomorrow is the shortest day of the year. It couldn't have come at a better time.

No comments: