Monday, February 15, 2010

Blue Valentines

Valentines Day has never been a day that's meant much to me, whether
I'm in a relationship or not. The only memory I even seem to have
attached to February 14th is that it was the day I was supposed to
move back to San Diego from New Jersey and instead got stuck in a
blizzard in Philadelphia and had to stay there overnight. So a pretty
miserable memory.
Growing up I would sometimes celebrate the Roman Lupercalia,
though in a more symbolic way than an actual Roman-style celebration.
Back in "Roman times" males would run around whipping women to ensure
marriage and fertility. I suppose I did get pretty damn whipped this
year, but figuratively, not in the super fun kinky way.
I sort of always figured I would end up exactly where I am and being
right is always nice. I'm really fucking grateful for my friends,
every single one of whom came through for me in any way they could. On
the way home from getting absolutely wasted with Chris and Josh, I
found a white dove hanging out on the sidewalk. It was obviously
someone's pet because it was very tame and it couldn't fly. All its
flight feathers had been clipped. I was pretty sad I couldn't take it
with me and in my drunk state was sure it was going to get hit by a
car and die. I'm used to my dreams being ridiculously symbolic, but
fuck if I've ever had my life be.

No comments: